A lead magnet is when you offer a valuable piece of content for free in exchange for a potential customer’s contact information, such as their email address.
We live in a time of social media ruling most of our marketing – but what if social media were to stop tomorrow? What if you suddenly lost your social media business pages? Or what if you suddenly get banned from Meta for saying something controversial that they didn’t like? (Don’t get me started on that one!)… what happens to your followers and content? GONE!!
The best way to ensure your customers know where to contact you is to direct them to your website to get content and information. Once they are there, encourage them to provide you with their contact details so you can pop up in their inbox.
Here are the steps to create a high-converting lead magnet:
- Determine your target audience: Identify the group of people you want to attract and what their pain points or challenges are.
- Choose a topic: Based on the needs and interests of your target audience, choose a topic that is relevant and solves a problem they face.
- Create the content: Your lead magnet can be in various formats such as an e-book, checklist, guide, video, webinar, or template. Make sure it is high-quality and provides value to your target audience… the days of wishy washy content are over…
- Design the landing page: Create a landing page for your lead magnet with a clear call-to-action to sign up for the lead magnet. The page should be visually appealing and easy to navigate with many opportunities to click to get your lead magnet. A CTA for each section is great practice and gives them the chance to jump in at each piece of new information – don’t make them scroll alllllllll the way to the bottom to click the link!
- Promote the lead magnet: Share your lead magnet on social media, your website, and through email marketing. Use a compelling headline and descriptive text to attract the attention of your target audience.
- Collect leads: Once a visitor signs up for your lead magnet, their contact information should be captured in a database for future marketing purposes. We suggest mailerlite if you are just starting up, or if you are looking for an email marketing software with more functionality, we do love Active Campaign!
By creating a high-converting lead magnet, you can attract potential customers and build a relationship with them via email marketing. Ultimately the goal is to nurture your email list and to add to their customer journey… and of course to drive traffic and sales to your small business.
Our final note: It is a great privilege to be invited into their inbox: ensure you are being respectful of that – NEVER sell their details or give them away to a 3rd party!